At about 1915, the Battalion CO directed that the perimeter be formed for the night holding all ground gained during the attack. Fox Company with 2 platoons of George Company held a perimeter inside and just outside the wire of the original garrison. George and Easy Companies with one weapons platoon and one rifle platoon of Baker Company organized a perimeter on the North Knoll in the vicinity of Parmalee’s Grave and extended down the ridge to the West. A small unit was placed well down the ridge where the telephone wires turned south in order to prevent the Japs from following the wires into our positions.
At about 1945, Col Mahoney reported to the Battalion CO, and after acquainting him with the situation and showing him the Battalion CP installations, the Battalion CO turned over command and started back to report to the Regimental CP. At 2220, Col Lowry reported to Gen McCulloch and Col Long and gave them the situation as of 2015 when he left Hill 260.















